In light of the COVID-19 crisis and the many concerns it has created for students and their families, Rutgers–New Brunswick will allow incoming first-year and transfer students to defer their enrollment to the spring or fall of 2021 for all schools with the following exceptions.
- The School of Nursing-Newark and the School of Nursing-New Brunswick will allow students to defer their enrollment to fall 2021 only.
- The Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy will allow first-year students to defer to either spring or fall, but transfer students may only defer to fall. Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy first-year students who defer their enrollment to the spring semester may be required to make up missed fall coursework during the summer of 2021 in order to ensure they remain in sequence for the fall 2021 semester.
- Mason Gross School of the Arts students seeking to defer should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if the deferral can be accommodated.
- School of Engineering students who defer their enrollment to the spring semester may be required to make up missed fall coursework during the summer of 2021 in order to ensure they remain in sequence for the fall 2021 semester.
If a student decides to defer their enrollment they will be permitted to retain any merit-based scholarship awards and/or Honors College/honors program invitations. The deadline to defer enrollment is August 1, 2020. Complete details about deferring enrollment and how to request a deferral are below.
Deferral Process and Instructions
- Students should accept their offer of admission and pay the $150 admissions acceptance fee through their status screen.
- A student who wishes to request a deferral should email email@example.com with their request no later than August 1, 2020 and include:
- Their RUID, First Name, and Last Name
- The semester to which they are requesting a deferral
- A brief explanation or reason for the requested deferral
- A brief explanation of their plans during the semester/year of deferral
- First-year students must submit a final official high school transcript certifying graduation and showing all courses and grades from grades 9 through 12 by July 1 for students in the United States and August 1 for international students.
Transfer students must submit final official college transcript(s) by June 10.
However, we know many schools are closed temporarily or indefinitely, causing hardships in sharing final transcripts with us. We will be flexible with posted deadlines for receiving final official transcripts, and will work with students and counselors to make this process as simple as possible. If you have questions regarding your transcript, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Deferrals will be conditional on the successful completion of all courses with no decline in grades or withdrawals. Any grades below a C or Pass in the most recent semester, or a withdrawal from a prerequisite course, may result in the rescission of a deferral request.
A deferral is officially granted only when the student is notified by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The student’s status screen will be updated to show that the deferral request has been granted.
- No additional courses may be taken during the deferral period. Enrollment in another year of high school or any college credit-bearing courses, even if not completed, will nullify the deferral.
- Students who have been granted a deferral do not need to submit an application for the following semester/year. Application information for students who receive official approval to defer will automatically be carried over from one application cycle to the next. Students can update contact information or other new information on their Rutgers status screen once it becomes available for the following cycle.
- If the deferral is granted and the student meets the required terms, the student will be notified of admission for the semester of entry to which they deferred, and should respond to accept the offer of admission by the notification dates posted for the new term of enrollment (i.e., early December for spring enrollment; May 1 for fall enrollment). The application and enrollment fee paid for the current year will be applied to the new term.
- Students who defer to fall will need to complete the FAFSA again. It is recommend that students complete the FAFSA by the priority deadline of December 1.